General South Africa Drone Laws:
- Commercial drone operations in South Africa are prohibited
- Recreational use is defined as for recreation, sport, or competition in South Africa. Drones are only permitted to be used for those purposes.
- Drones MUST weigh less than 1KG.
- Drones MUST use open frequency band for control.
- Drones MUST remain in visual line of sight.
- Drones MUST NOT fly higher than 150 feet.
- Drones MUST NOT fly within 5 nautical miles of an airfield.
- Commercial drone operations in South Africa are currently prohibited, however work is currently underway to legalize flying drones for commercial use.
Last Updated: July 2015